Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The headaches of trying to grow up..

I've been doing A LOT of thinking lately.  For me, my problem is simple.. I need to grow up.  I need to start deciding what I want to do for the rest of my life.  I need to make money instead of break even every month, I need to move out of my parent's house, and I need to follow my dreams.  I wont say I'm afraid to fail, because I'm used to failing so failure is pretty familiar to me and I don't care.  Failure doesn't scare me as much as taking the steps into that open field of an uncomfortable beginning.  To try.

I have been trying to find ways to make myself happier.  I'm starting to exercise.  I am also starting to take up a few different hobbies.  Archery is my main one, followed by pursuing my love for guitar.  As soon as the weather breaks I'll let you know how archery goes. :)  (Too much Zelda BTW).

Anyway, the point of this post is that my mom told me to get another job and I guess it ticked me off enough to really question where my life is headed.  I don't feel I could hold 2 jobs and stay sane.  I have always needed "me" time.  My only solution that I can think of so far, is to pursue my love of design.  I'm not saying I'm good enough to do it, but I think I may start trying to get some of my work out.  Even if it's just for friends and family.  Even if I work for free.  I love design and would love to practice more at it.  I think I'd like to do themed work or nerd related work, because I seem to be the best at that.  The only concern I am having is dealing with copyright infringement.  I'm not sure how it all works and don't want to discredit anyone.  I've been reading up on it and really still don't see if I'd be able to get away with everything.  If anyone knows anything about copyright PLEASE let me know.  Link me to useful sites?  Like how do people on etsy get away with selling Nintendo stuff they make?  You are making a profit on a piece of work that is centered on something YOU didn't create.  That seems wrong to me.  I'm thinking the "Fair use" loophole gets many around it.  I'm not sure.  I do plan on taking a graphic design class or something as soon as a good opportunity comes up.  I'm sure I'll learn about copyright. 

And the conclusion...  "Do something you love, you never work a day in your life."  I'm tired of my job right now dragging me down.  I'm tired of having zero motivation to work.  I'm tired of not being noticed for my work.  I get assigned one small indesign job and it's like my heart skips a beat.  I just feel it's right even though I'm afraid I won't make enough money.  I have a big dream in my head of being an independent graphic designer working out of the basement of my own home.  I guess small steps...   

No comments:

Post a Comment